Share this article:
Creativity is an area of psychological research of interest to many areas outside of psychology: science, business, education, entertainment, and more. Everybody wants to know how to promote or encourage creativity, how to recognize and nurture it, and there is tremendous research going on about the genetics of creativity, the fostering of creativity, its association with mental health and intelligence, and whether people are creative in just one domain or if creativity is generalized across domains.
There has been an explosion of creativity research in journals, new classes on creativity in psychology departments, and this expansion of research has led to the need to consolidate and summarize the material in a new series, Explorations in Creativity Research, edited by James C. Kaufman.
The primary audience are researchers and scholars in the area of creativity, and secondary audience are researchers and professionals in applied areas in which creativity research is useful. Individual volumes may also appeal as a text reference to graduate courses in creativity and/or to educated lay people with an interest in the specific topic of the volume in question.
Current volumes in the series include:
Animal Creativity and Innovation – This volume explores theories and research on animal innovation and creativity, comparing and contrasting it with theory and research on human creativity and innovation. It includes examples of animal innovation and creativity in animal species including parrots, dogs, marine mammals, insects, and primates, exploring parallels from creative play in children. The book defines creativity, differentiating it from play, and looks at evolutionary models and neurological constructs.
Read a sample chapter from this volume – Conservatism Versus Innovation: The Great Ape Story below:
Domain Specificity of Creativity – This volume brings together the research information on domain specificity in creativity – both the research that supports it, and answers to research arguments that challenge it. The implications for domain specificity affect how we move forward with theories of creativity, testing for creativity, and teaching for creativity. The book outlines what these changes are and how creativity research and applications of that research will change in light of these new findings.
Read a sample chapter from the volume – Research Evidence for Domain Specificity below:
Video Games and Creativity – Game-based learning has revealed the power of using games to teach and promote learning, and in parallel, the role and importance of creativity in everyday life has been identified as a requisite skill for success.- This volume explores research on the relationship between video games and creativity with regard to play, learning, and game design. While video games can be sources of entertainment, the role of video games in the classroom has emerged as an important component of improving the education system.
Read a sample chapter from this volume – Teaching Creativity: Theoretical Models and Applications below:
Creativity in Engineering – Creativity is like an iceberg – the resulting new idea, or novel solution is only 10% of the effort. The other 90% is the complex interplay of thinking skills and strategies, personal and motivational properties that activate these skills and strategies, and the social and organizational factors of the environment that influence the creative process. This volume focuses on the Process, Person, Product, and Place to understand when and why creativity happens in the engineering environment and how it can be further encouraged.
Read a sample chapter from this volume – Innovation: Exploiting Creativity below:
If you would like to purchase a volume in the series, visit the Elsevier Store. Apply Discount code STC215 at checkout and receive 30% off the list price and free global shipping. If you would like to read additional chapters, you can access them online via ScienceDirect.
Researchers and clinicians in psychology work across a vast array of sub-disciplines, including applied psychology, addictions, cognitive psychology, developmental and educational psychology, experimental physiological psychology, forensic psychology, neuropsychology, and behavioral and cognitive therapy. For these professionals, and students as well, cross-disciplinary study is a given. For more than 75 years, Elsevier has cultivated portfolios of psychology books, eBooks, and journals covering current and critical issues in all of these areas. This vital content provides a sound basis of understanding for all those involved in this multi-faceted field.